Thursday, July 9, 2009

Week 2-EJ 2-Produsage

Produsage is a new term to me, and I don't know if I understand it correctly even I read the textbook.

I really like the 4 principles of produsage in the textbook and I think they are helpful in my life (both personal and professional):

1. Open participation, communal evaluation
I think this is the major characteristic of Web 2.0 also. Now, people can find resources (both good and bad) online easily and also comment on them. This reminds me one of the challenges I found in previous EJ--Filter vs. Fountain. I think open participation makes Web 2.0 as a fountain because everyone can participate, and communal evaluation can somehow be the filter for these information.

For example, when I read or watch blog or youtube (anything that can allow people have comments), I found some interesting things in comments. It is true that we (as students) need to know how to judge what is good or bad resources online, and also to help students learn this skill as an Instructional designer too. Comments will be a good tools here. At the beginning I read some comments, and I found some people will post negative things (personal view or bias) and the others will post unagreements. This "conversation" helps me judge whose comments are more cogency and fair.

2. Fluid heterarchy, ad hoc meritocracy
When I read this one, I think of some of the theories we learned from the theory learning course.
Fluid heterarchy is each single small peises and help us view and analyze a big task easier. Like the previous posting (how am I going to organize my time for this course), I break down a complex thing into small heterachy, add the ad hoc meritocracy ideas in it that I can work on the different heterarchy at the same day while still keep organizing them.

Ad hoc meritocracy reminds me the team work in Instructional deisgn. Usually a design project is complex and requires different experts in a team: SME, instructional designer, developer, graphic designer, etc. Everyone has different skills but still can work together to support the same design project.

3. Unfinished artefacts, continuing process
This one also reminds me the theories I learned from theory learning course.
As we go through all the theories, I see the process how different researchers come out their ideas in different time. It seems they somehow tried to find a perpetual theory or method for learning, but at the end it all shows that learning theories, methods, or models, are a continuing process (well, this is truely my personal ideas and understanding, maybe you won't agree with me).

4. Common property, individual rewards
I think this one shows that the contents will be available forever? It seems depending on the produser to control if the contents will be continue available or not. For now, I don't have a deep idea about it yet, and i will find some ideas from reading BB and others' EJ.

Finally, I think I am already a produser because I am a producer and user at the same time. Like posting ideas in my blog and also comments and participate others' blog or wiki. (I don't know if I am right in this point about produser.)

No comments: